You will be required to create an account in order to access the application form and submit an application. You will have the ability to save the document as you work. Once the application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation that contains a link to your application. Please provide the project contact’s email address when submitting the application so that confirmation of receipt and any related correspondence is sent to the person most familiar with the application.
Please click on the fund name or the Submit button to proceed onto the grant application.
The Facing Race Awards were established in 2007 to celebrate and honor individuals working to eliminate racism and its effects throughout the state of Minnesota. The Awards are part of the Saint Paul & Minnesota Foundation's ongoing commitment to racial equity and offer the opportunity to recognize community members who are courageously transforming our region and state. By highlighting the valuable work of honorees, we hope to inspire discussion, dialogue and action around the critical issues of race and racism.
The Foundation is currently seeking nominations for our 2020 Facing Race Awards. Two individuals will be selected and recognized on Thursday, October 1 at our public award ceremony. Each recipient will receive a $15,000 grant to direct to the nonprofit of their choice.
We invite you to submit a nomination in support of an adult or youth who is helping to promote racial equity. To submit a nomination, please create a new account with Submittable or sign in to your account using the buttons at the bottom of the page. Emailed or mailed nominations will not be accepted.
Please save the date for the evening of Thursday, October 1.
For more information or if you have any questions, please email FacingRace@spmcf.org or call 651-325-4288
All nominations must be received by Wednesday, April 8 at 3:00 pm.
Each adult or youth nominee must:
- Actively engage in creating a racially equitable community.
- Demonstrate commitment to directly addressing issues of racism and/or tackling racial inequity in the East Metro or across Minnesota. Nominees might be working to reduce racism by changing systems, attitudes, behaviors and practices, or by increasing access to resources at an individual, community, neighborhood, institutional, policy or systemic level.
- Individuals must work with or through an organization(s). An organization can be any type of entity, e.g., a nonprofit, foundation, private company, or government entity.
- Give consent to the nominator prior to submitting the nomination form. If your nominee is a youth under the age of 18, you must receive consent from the nominee’s guardian.
- Not be self-nominated.
- Not be a former Facing Race Award recipient.
- Not be staff or board member of the Saint Paul & Minnesota Foundation.
Nominees will be reviewed on the following criteria:
- The degree to which the nominee’s work helps to eliminate racism and its effects, and promotes racial equity in Minnesota.
- The nominee’s accomplishments within the past five years, including 2020.
- The degree to which the nominee’s accomplishments benefit the communities in either the East Metro Area (Ramsey, Dakota or Washington counties) or Statewide.
**Due to the high volume of nominees, only those individuals selected for this year’s Facing Race Award will be notified.