The Facing Race Awards were established in 2007 to celebrate and honor individuals working to eliminate racism and its effects throughout the state of Minnesota. The Awards are part of the Foundations’ ongoing commitment to racial equity and offer the opportunity to recognize community members who are courageously transforming our region and state. By highlighting the valuable work of honorees, we hope to inspire discussion, dialogue and action around the critical issues of race and racism.
The Foundations are currently seeking nominations for our 2018 Facing Race Awards. Two individuals will be selected and recognized on October 1 at our public award ceremony. The awards are part of the Foundations commitment to equity and offer the chance to recognize community members who are courageously transforming our region and state. Each recipient will receive a $15,000 grant to direct to the nonprofit of their choice.
We invite you to submit a nomination in support of an adult or youth who is helping to promote racial equity. Note that nominations emailed or mailed in will not be accepted. To submit a nomination, please visit:
Please save the date for the evening of Monday, October 1, 2018.
For more information or if you have any questions, please email FacingRace@spmcf.org or call 651-325-4214
All nominations must be received by Tuesday July 3!
Each adult or youth nominee must:
● Actively engage in creating a racially equitable community.
● Demonstrate commitment to directly addressing issues of racism and/or tackling racial inequity in the east metro or across Minnesota. Nominees might be working to reduce racism by changing attitudes, behaviors and practices, or by increasing access to resources at an individual, community, neighborhood, institutional, policy or systemic level.
● Individuals must work with or through an organization(s). An organizational can be any type of entity, e.g., a nonprofit, foundation, private company.
● Give consent to the nominator prior to submitting the nomination form. If your nominee is a youth under the age of 18, you must receive consent from the nominee’s guardian.
● Not be self-nominated.
● Not be a former Facing Race Award recipient.
● Not be staff or board members of The Saint Paul & Minnesota Community Foundations.
Nominees will be reviewed on the following criteria:
· The degree to which the nominee’s work helps to eliminate racism and its effects, and promotes racial equity in Minnesota.
· The nominee’s accomplishments within the past five years, including 2018
· The degree to which the nominee’s accomplishments benefit the communities in either the East Metro Area (Ramsey, Dakota or Washington counties) or Statewide.
**Due to the high volume of nominees, only those individuals selected for this year’s Facing Race Award will be notified.